29 April 2018 / Club News

Tylorstown v Canton Match Report

Tylorstown – 34

Canton – 10


Tylorstown’s all round dominance paved the way for a 6 try demolition of Canton. The home side secured automatic promotion with this victory and seek to win the league title with two games remaining. Based on this performance, it will take a very good team to beat them to the title.


The last time the two sides met in Canton, the score was tied at 17 each. The Canton team looked somewhat different in this game with a number of players who looked very comfortable on the ball who did not feature in the last fixture. It is important to note that every player representing Tylorstown in the starting line -up came from the youth team.


Tylorstown’s scrum was colossal and though the Cardiff side tackled well, this aspect of the game continually gave the home side significant advantage. Due to this superiority, Tylorstown’s backs were provided with an abundance of quality possession which they used intelligently.


A feature of this season’s improvement is the willingness to spread the ball wide and have players talented enough to know when to give and take a pass. Tylorstown now possess the backs to be destructive in attack and are aware of when to attack.


Scrum half Dylan Lewis was in sparkling form and continually provided his outside half Chris Harris with fast ball for him to run onto. The outside backs looked sharp and confident as a result. Centres Scott Thomas and Jordan Williams straightened up the lines when required and created space for wings Kieran Richards and Chris Griffiths to score out wide. With the brilliant Luke Thomas operating at full back, Canton needed to have their wits about them.


From the kick- off Tylorstown’s talismanic captain Chris Lloyd made good yardage up the middle breaking through tackles. Harris passed out wide to full back Thomas who drew the defender and passed to Griffiths to touch down in the corner.


Within minutes the strong running of flanker Morgan John breached the Canton defence only for his offload to be dropped with space beckoning. From a line out won by second row and coach Dai Hefford provided quick ball for Harris to make a lovely break with the ball again going to ground.


Canton scored a break away try through the strong running of centre Chris Grant which spurred Tylorstown into finishing moves with more accuracy. Harris kicked to touch and from the line out the strength of John enabled him to power over with Harris converting. John was again on the score sheet when the Canton scrum was completely disrupted on their try line and the young flanker touched down. Although John scored the try, the front row of hooker Lloyd and his two props Aiden O’Donaghue and Marcus Chapman were the instigators.


In the second half, the pressure was relentless from Tylorstown. Number 8 Adam Phillips charged at the retreating defenders with great regularity allowing Lewis and Harris to look for gaps. From a line out metres from the Canton line, flanker Lee Arundel provided the touchdown with his forwards driving him over.


Harris was again instrumental in a Tylorstown score when his deft break enabled wing Griffiths to score his second try. Full back Thomas slotted the conversion.


Tylorstown rang the changes in the second half. Youth team flanker Jake Jones showed up well on his arrival and made some telling tackles and ball carries.


Canton scored out wide with Tylorstown guilty of not fully concentrating but finished the game with the hugely influential Lewis putting Richards into space to score.


Tylorstown’s next game is Old Penarthians with the final fixture away at Ferndale. With such enthusiasm running through the club at the way the team has played this season, it is tempered by the fact that Tylorstown’s president Terry Williams, respected servant to the club and school boy rugby for decades, is ill in hospital and unable to cheer on his team.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments