Pontyclun RFC | 1st Team 33 - 25 Tylorstown RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
21 September 2018 / Team News

Pontyclun V Tylorstown Match Report

Pontyclun 33 Tylorstown 25

Newly promoted Tylorstown travelled to Pontyclun for the opening day fixture of the new season. This proved to be a stern test for the valleys outfit with Pontyclun just missing out on promotion last season. The Tigers were missing a number of players due to injury, notably second row Lukke Reese, back row Morgan John, full back Luke Thomas, centre Scott Thomas and influential captain Chris Lloyd.

The game started well for the away team with centre Chris Harris slotting over a penalty to give Tylorstown an early lead. In the scrum the away team dominated this area of the game but were penalised on a number of occasions even though the home team were travelling back at a rate of knots. Pontyclun were awarded a penalty deep in the Tylorstown half, which was kicked to level the game. Pontycun then went into the lead with a breakaway try under the posts when Tylorstown lost possession whilst attacking the home team’s 22 metre line. The Tigers dominance up front began to tell and two quick tries were scored, firstly by prop Aiden o’ Donahue who drove over from close range to touch down in the corner and then by flanker Adam Phillips the conversion of which was excellently kicked out wide by Harris.

Pontyclun then came into the game a bit more and managed to take the lead again with a converted try, however this was short lived when a penalty was awarded to Tylorstown on the halfway line, this was taken quickly which resulted in lively centre Jordan Williams scampering over the home team’s whitewash for an unconverted try, this brought the first half to a close with the away team deservedly leading 20 – 17.

During the first period of the second half Pontyclun were awarded 3 penalties which brought the score to 26 – 20 in the home teams’ favour. However again the away side rallied and managed to score an excellent try, by scrum half Dylan Lewis, the conversion out wide being missed. With time running out and the away team being 1 point in arrears, Tylorstown was soon on the attack again but great defence and some great tactical kicking by the Pontyclun outside half pegged Tylorstown back in their own 22  and with a couple of minutes to go the home team went over to score a converted try to bring the final score to 33 – 25.

Tylorstown’s next game is this Saturday at home to Treharris.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos