Tylorstown RFC | 1st Team 12 - 11 Haverfordwest RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
14 December 2018 / Team News

Tylorstown v Haverfordwest Match Report


Tylorstown 12 Haverfordwest 11

Tylorstown welcomed the west Wales team to Penrhys Park for this fourth round Swelec bowl encounter. The visitors last played here way back in 1986, for another cup game which Haverfordwest emerged victors in a narrow 17-16 win. The away team have had a great start to their season and sit top of the league, west division A, having only lost two league games.

The game started with the home team playing with the wind at their backs, but it was the away side who had the better start to the match, utilising a strong driving maul they forced their way up towards the Tylorstown 22 metre line, when eventually the drive started to break up it allowed hooker and captain Chris Lloyd to strip the ball, which was then fed to scrum half Dylan Lewis who made an excellent clearance kick to touch. From the resulting lineout Haverfordwest again drove up field and managed to gain a penalty which was calmly slotted through the uprights to give the away team an early 3-point advantage. As the half progressed the Tigers came into the game more with versatile outside half Keiron Richards orchestrating a fine move which led to centre Jordan Williams reaching the Haverfordwest 22 metre line before being brought down. The ball was then recycled and driven towards the away team’s try line, being brought down illegally 5 metres shy of the whitewash the referee awarding Tylorstown a penalty, this was taken quickly by second row Robert Hemming who forced his way over for the home team’s opening points of the game the conversion being missed, making the score line 5-3 to the valley side.

After the restart the Tigers again found themselves on the defensive but great work by flanker Adam Phillips earned the home team a penalty, the kick looked bound for touch but the swirling wind kept the ball in play, the ball was then ran by the useful Haverfordwest backs and the away team were eventually awarded a penalty on the Tylorstown 10 metre line, the attempted kick at the posts just going wide. The scrums were going well for the home team with the front row trio of Aiden O’Donaghue, Chris Lloyd and Ashley Thomas getting the better of their west Wales counterparts. Second row Lukke Rees, number 8 David Hefford and flanker Mathew Paul all made telling runs which put the away team on the back foot. Half time Tylorstown 5 Haverfordwest 3.

The second half started with a great run out of defence by fullback Chris Griffiths, but the home team soon found themselves back in their own 22, and only great defence by the forwards and big hits by both wings Liam Davies, Owen Jenkins and centre Scott Thomas kept the away team from taking the lead. However, all this pressure was starting to tell and eventually the away team crashed over for an unconverted try taking the score to 5-8 to the visitors.

Replacement Morgan John was his usual wrecking ball self, making great inroads into the Haverfordwest defence but the next points again went to the visitors with a converted penalty, taking the score to 5-11. With time running out the home team found themselves encamped on the visitors try line. The scrummage now being dominated by the Tylorstown pack with replacement props Rhys Edwards, Daniel Wilcox and Lloyd giving their front row opponents a couple of flying lessons but the home team were still unable to cross the try line. All looked lost for the valley side and an exit from the cup looked on the cards when Haverfordwest regained the ball and worked their way down field into the Tylorstown half. However, possession was regained at the maul and moved along the back line resulting in centre Williams being stopped just short of the line. With seconds remaining Tylorstown were awarded a scrum 5 metres from the visitors try line and easily pushed their opposing pack back towards their own try line with John controlling the ball masterfully at the back of the scrum and eventually scored the pushover try, making the score a 1-point game, 10 – 11 to the away team. The game rested on the last kick of the game with centre Williams taking the conversion out wide, against a swirling wind and poor conditions underfoot also the fact that he had only just taken over kicking duties the week before meant that the probability of a successful kick was low however the ball was beautifully struck and sailed between the posts, the both linesmen (Howard Allen the Tylorstown linesman) acknowledged the successful kick with a raise of their flags and the referee then blew his whistle for the end of the games. The scenes at full time were so contrasting with all the players and substitutes from the victorious team running to mob Williams but the gallant visitors were visibly and understandably distraught. A fantastic and nerve wrangling end to a game between two well matched sides with probably the scrum and the home team’s strong bench of Wilcox, Edwards, Arundel, John and Evans being the difference between the 2 sides.

Tylorstown resume league fixtures next week with a game at home against Pontyclun.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos