15 January 2018 / Club News

Tylorstown V Llantwit Major Match Report

Tylorstown – 27

Llantwit Major - 20


Tylorstown re-enforced their position at the top of the division with an excellent win against a well drilled Llantwit Major side who in fact were the last team to beat the Tigers way back in September.

From the start it was obvious that the Tigers were up for this encounter with the forwards making major inroads into the Llantwit defence time and time again, this led to the away team being penalised which young scrum half Dylan Lewis effortlessly slotted over.

From the restart the Tigers again went on the attack with both backs and forwards working well, they were soon back in the Llantwit 22. After another excellent charging run by Morgan John the referee deemed that the Llantwit prop was using illegal tactics at the breakdown area and a penalty was awarded to the host team and as a result the offending player was yellow carded. From the penalty and showing an intent for attacking rugby Chris Harris put in an excellent kick into the corner. From the lineout Tylorstown drove towards the Llantwit line only to be thwarted for a well deserved try by excellent defence by the away team. However, from the resulting breakdown lively scrum half Dylan Lewis darted over for a try from close range.

From the restart Tylorstown again drove down field with impressive charges by captain Chris Lloyd, second row Lukke Rees and again by the rampant Morgan John, the ball was eventually worked to the backs whose slick handling put centre Scott Thomas over for what seemed to be a fantastic team try but the referee judged the final pass to be forward and the try was disallowed.

Tylostown were in total control of the game at this stage with lots of possession and spending long periods in the Llantwit 22, it was only a matter of time before the home team breached the struggling defence once more and this duly occurred when great work by forwards and backs led to a try by wing Chris Griffiths which was converted by Dylan Lewis.

During a rare occasion the Llantwit team entered the home teams 22 the referee awarded the attacking team a penalty which the Llantwit fullback kicked with ease putting their first points on the board.

Play restarted and great work by all the Tylorstown forwards and especially back row forwards Adam Phillips and the always impressive David Hefford resulted in the home team working their way back into the Llantwit half. After several telling drives by the impressive home pack the ball was quickly and slickly worked wide by the Tigers back division where centre Scott Thomas gave a beautifully delayed pass to put fullback Sean Webber over the whitewash for another excellent team try. Shortly after this the referee blew up for half time in which the home team dominated.

The second half started with again the home forwards driving up the middle of the field and when necessary releasing the ball to the impressive back line. Llantwit managed to turn over the ball and kicked it long into the home teams 22, this was to be one of Llantwit’s best passages of play, time and time again they battered the home try line but because of some heroic defence they were unable to cross the home teams line. It was at this time the referee awarded numerous penalties to the attacking team which eventually led to the Tylorstown second row being yellow carded and from this Llantwit managed to score their first try of the day. A number of substitution were then made to the home team with props Aiden O’Donaghue and Ashley Thomas coming off after excellent performances, Barry John Ward and Marcus Chapman replacing them. As the second half wore on the away team came more into the game and only brave tacking by the home side stopped Llantwit from crossing the line again. However, all this pressure from the away team was starting to tell and it accumulated in another Tylorstown player being yellow carded bringing the home team back down to 14 players.

Even with the numerical disadvantage the home team were able to force their way up field and encamp on the Llantwit try line. After several attempts to cross the Llantwit line only to be stopped each time by some resolute tackling the tiger’s impressive scrumhalf Dylan Lewis again managed to squeeze through the smallest of gaps and make contact with the try line for his second of the day and giving the home team, the bonus point they well deserved. Chris Harris converting from out wide. As the game went into the final minutes again Llantwit pressurized the Tylorstown line, which led to the Tylorstown scrumhalf being yellow carded. With the game coming to a close Llantwit managed to score their second and third tries, the last of which was converted. After the conversion the referee blew up for the end of the game. Whilst all the Tylostown players played with commitment and passion special mention must go to Morgan John and Dylan Lewis.

Next week Tylorstown travel away to Hirwaun.


Pontyclyn  -  0

Tylorstown  - 60

With Tylorstown one of the few teams to consistently field a second team, Pontyclun were up against it. Credit must go to the home team who played many youngsters whodidn’t give in. With contention for first team places very strong due to the size of Tylorstown’s squad, many players were keen to catch the eye. Props Daniel Wilcox and Rhys Edwards played with maturity and both provided a platform for the rest of the side to make hay. Man of the match was the outstanding forward Lee Arundell, another player waiting for his chance to shine in the first team. Backs and forwards combined well all game, ably marshalled by the excellent Ashton Matthews ay scrum half. Try scorers for Tylorstown:
Marc Evans 
Jake jones 
Ricky price x2
Jake Hemings x2
Ricky Price
Craig miles
Ashton Matthews
Daniel Wilkcox
Josh Rodrick 


Outside half kicked five conversions and attacked well with ball in hand.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments