Wattstown RFC | 1st Team 9 - 27 Tylorstown RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
31 December 2017 / Team News

Wattstown V Tylorstown Match Report

Wattstown – 9

Tylorstown – 27


The game and the result was an irrelevance considering the tragic death of eight year old Jenson Evans in a road traffic accident near Talbot Green last Thursday. Jenson was the son of Wattstown player Matthew Evans who gave his consent for the game to be played. Recognising how difficult it must have been for the Wattstown team to take to the field, the Tylorstown spectators showed their empathy by applauding the Wattstown players onto the field. This was followed by a very emotional minute’s applause for Jenson. Both teams let balloons of red and black, Wattstown’s colours, drift into the sky in memory of Jenson.


In such an emotional atmosphere, Wattstown should be congratulated for playing the game at such a high intensity.


Tylorstown kept the ball tight and allowed the ball carriers to make good yardage. Prop Ashley Thomas, captain Chris Lloyd and player/coach Dai Hefford were prominent. With a scrum five metres out, young scrum half Dylan Lewis sold a dummy and crashed over for a very well taken try. Outside half Chris Harris converted.


Wattstown stayed in touch and the place kicking was of a high standard to score two penalties. Tylorstown’s wing Jamie Davies tackled well and looked strong with ball in hand. Flanker Adam Phillips was very good in the contact area and together with flanker Lee Arundell made it difficult for the home forwards to gain momentum.


With a scrum on the Wattstown 10 metre line, Hefford picked the ball up at the back of the scrum and showed pace and strength to break through and deliver a clinical pass to Harris to touch down. Harris failed to convert but shortly after slotted a penalty.


Wattstown responded with a penalty kick on the stroke of half time.


With a very strong bench of substitutes to call upon, Tylorstown pulled away in the second half. Lewis’s passing was sleek and always in front of Harris. Harris played confidently and kept nudging Tylorstown ahead with good kicks behind the defence. Lloyd, who played superbly, scored in the corner following excellent approach work by substitute Marcus Chapman.


Wattstown tackled well in the backs with the visitors looking to spread the ball which was pleasing. Centre Sean Webber showed good touches and full back Chris Griffiths looked astute in attack and linked well with wings Matthew Carter and Davies.


With ten minutes remaining, Chapman charged over to gain the bonus point with Harris converting.


Next Saturday Tylorstown host Cowbridge at Penrhys Park.


All connected with Tylorstown offer our deepest condolences to Jenson’s family and Wattstown RFC.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos