Ynysowen RFC | 1st Team 24 - 24 Tylorstown RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
10 September 2017 / Team News

Ynysowen v Tylorstown Match Report

Ynysowen – 24

Tylorstown – 24


Tylorstown will be relieved to come away from the first game of the season with a bonus point draw after gifting the home team two tries in the first half and going into the interval 17 points in arrears. However, Tylorstown will be kicking themselves for not winning when the big Ynysowen pack were out on their feet in the last ten minutes of the game.


Tylorstown travelled to Ynysowen with quite confidence after a very good pre-season, a big squad of players to choose from and a brand new coaching team of Head coach Mark Davies and player coach Dai Hefford.


The home team possessed a big pack of forwards and an astute scrum half. Tylorstown needed to run this pack of forwards around the park but made basic errors when the ball was in hand. Ynysowen went into the lead through a try by the forwards after sustained pressure.


Until this try was scored Tylorstown tackled well and will take heart from the fact that the defence held up well. Flanker James Groves, prop Ashley Thomas and scrum half Kieran Richards led the rear guard effort. Ynysowen missed a penalty and Tylorstown started to get into the game. Explosive flanker Morgan John did a few telling charges to set up good field positions.


The home team were reluctant to commit players into the ruck and this was exploited by Tylorstown with captain Chris Lloyd going over for a try unopposed after good work from Groves and John. Centre Mike Melhuish converted.


From the restart Tylorstown failed to gather the kick off cleanly and went backwards at a rate of knots with Ynysowen eventually scoring, again through their forwards. Within minutes Tylorstown’s defences were breached when a pass was intercepted and the home team benefited 7 points.


Tylorstown showed excellent team spirit and tenacity to overcome the many mistakes in the first half. The replacements played a big part. Making their senior debuts off the bench were wing Kieran Dudson, who tackled well and second row Ryan Shewell who made an impact when he arrived on the field. Replacement flanker Marcus Chapman ran tirelessly when he entered the fray. Prop Robert Wilkins came off the bench to score a well taken try.  Melhuish added a cracking touch line conversion.


As the second half wore on it was clear that fitness was an issue for the home team. Time and time again the first aider was on the pitch after passages of play and Ynysowen used numerous replacements. Tylorstown moved into another gear in the fourth quarter and the forwards took the game by the scruff of the neck. Groves, Lloyd, Hefford and Chapman were used as ball carriers and the territorial advantage was with the Rhondda side. Groves in particular was a force to be reckoned with in attack and defence.


Throughout the game, Tylorstown’s line out was a reliable source of possession. Hooker Jamie Davies found his jumpers regularly and he was rewarded for his efforts with a try after a series of pick and goes from the forwards.


The large and vocal travelling supporters urged the players to dig deep in the last ten minutes with the away side clearly on top. Their support was rewarded with a try by scrum half Richards who played his heart out all game. The conversion was missed on the stroke of full time.


Many positives can be taken from this first game and also a lot of areas to work on in training in readiness for the first home game of the season against local rivals, Wattstown.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos